Monday, October 18, 2010

Always New

Even though I've been studying the Bible and learning about God ever since I can remember (thank you, Mom & Dad & Holy Spirit), I continue to be amazed at the way God's Word is never old. I could read the Bible 100 times over, and I would find something new, interesting and encouraging every time. For that matter, I could read the same book or verse over and over and still find something new.

Over the past few weeks, I've been reading through Paul's Epistles, starting with Galatians. I've always loved Paul's writings, and they're applicable to every situation in life, but they've taken on a new meaning for me as I read them through the eyes of a missionary.

I've always loved it when a verse I have known, cherished, and even memorized comes alive for me. I think it usually happens because of my changing situation or perspective in life. I experience something new, and I go from understanding the verse on an intellectual level to understanding it on a deeper, sometimes inexpressible level.

That is exactly what's been happening to me as I read the prayers Paul writes throughout his Epistles. The first prayer that struck a new chord with me was his prayer for the Ephesians in chapter 1:16-18. It reads, "I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you..." (ESV).

Ever since I read that verse, I've started praying it daily for the people of Lunahuana and Lucumo and for friends and family that still haven't realized the hope to which they are called. It expresses perfectly what I feel for unbelievers. I pray it for myself, too, that I may understand more and more each day the "immeasurable greatness" of the hope we have by God's "glorious grace." (Check out all of Ephesians 1.)

Another prayer of Paul that I've rediscovered and identified with is from Colossians 4:2-4. "Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison - that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak." I daily ask for opportunities to share my faith, and that I would know what to say when the opportunity presents itself. I ask that you would pray this prayer for me and yourselves as you go about your lives as missionaries wherever you are. And thanks be to God for his faithfulness in answering our prayers!

What a privilege to have a few little peaks at one of the many awe-inspiring demonstrations of God's surpassing wisdom -- the power of His Word and evidence that it is truly "living and active." (Hebrews 4:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment