Monday, April 25, 2011

Strangers in a Strange Land

There are several places in the Bible that remind us that we are strangers on earth and heaven is our home. That always made sense to me on an intellectual level, but actually living as a foreigner has given me a deeper understanding of why it's important to see ourselves as strangers on earth, whether we live in our native countries or not.

As a foreigner, I'm able to observe the culture more objectively, and as a result it's easier to recognize aspects of the culture that go against God's Word. Because of the objective perspective, it seems easier to be in the world, but not of the world because of my lack of emotional ties to the culture and language.

I also don't get caught up in fashion and pop culture here. I follow what's going on so that I can join in conversations or have an idea of what people are talking about, but again, it's not something that consumes me. In the States I like to have clothes that are in fashion and look nice, and here I just wear what I have and don't care nearly as much. I think a big part of that is the fact that I'm going to look "out of place" and "foreign" no matter what I wear, so it's not worth the money or effort. I have what Katie and I like to call "the gringo card" which is like a free pass to not follow the cultural norms and not feel bad about it.

The language barrier is another thing that keeps my perspective objective as a foreigner. Even though I understand almost everything that's said, and I can communicate what I need to, Spanish is not my native language, so it's not my heart language. I have an intellectual understanding of the language, but I don't feel it. I think God has used that "unfeeling" Spanish heart of mine to be more bold in speaking His Word. I'm not as ashamed as I sometimes am in the States because I don't always feel what I'm saying, and I'm not as afraid of being judged since I will be here only a short time.

Because of my objective perspective, lack of many emotional ties, and the knowledge that I have another home (the good old USA), I don't worry about earthquakes or other natural disasters as much as the natives do. If something like that happens, they lose their house and everything they've worked for, whereas I lose a few possessions and, if things get too bad, I get to go home.

Along those same lines, living in a foreign land brings a greater appreciation and longing for home. As much as I love living in Peru right now and want to stay for at least another year, home is always on the back of my mind. I'm constantly comparing this foreign land to my native land, looking forward to my furlough in August, and thinking about what I'll do when I move back there permanently. There's just a very comforting, peaceful feeling that I get when I think of being back home.

So how exactly has all of this made me realize how brilliant God is when he describes us as strangers in a strange land? Well...

1) When you live with the objective perspective of a foreigner, you feel less attached to earthly things. "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Colossians 3:2
2) It naturally gives us a "foreign card" that excuses us from living like the world lives (the social norms), trapped in sin and meaningless activity. "Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul." 1 Peter 2:11
3) It makes us more bold in preaching God's Word because we have a limited amount of time on earth, and it doesn't matter if people judge us for it or not. "We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us." 2 Corinthians 5:20a
4) It keeps us from worrying about what will happen to us in this world because we know we have a far superior home waiting for us that will bring us eternal comfort and peace. "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
5) And finally, it gives us a longing for our eternal home with our Savior. "But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ." Philippians 3:20

You can't have Gospel without the Law, and you can't truly appreciate Home until you've lived as a Stranger. "Remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ." Ephesians 2:13

No comments:

Post a Comment